This matcha infused greek goodness on top of the banana, chia seeds, cocoa overnight oatmeal is my new favorite ‘healthy dessert for breakfast’ kind of recipe! If you ever tried a green tea infused ice-cream that is often served for dessert in Japanese restaurants, you do have an idea on how good green tea sounds in desserts. Well, only that this breakfast beauty is even better, because it is gluten free, refined sugars free, rich in calcium, potassium, omega 3 fats and, since we talk matcha here, loaded with antioxidants.
I really have to admit that I saw no point of cooking with matcha until I tried. See, when you into cooking, food, new food trends and have friends who share these interests you certainly have every day something new to discover. Matcha was one of this discoveries, thanks to my friend Vera, who is a Matcha-advocate/expert/lover :*
Vera has recently grounded her own company that focuses on matcha and exports it from Asia to the cold and stressed West. She introduced me to matcha before our going out Friday night in Berlin. And I have to say, this was the longest I’ve partied…ever! I’m actually known to be a grandma when it comes to going out. I’m more a wine and series type of party girl 🙂
From millions of super-food trends, matcha is my keeper. First of all, because I always loved green tea, and drinking matcha is like getting the purest and the best quality shot of it, and second, because since I quit drinking coffee and started working full time I am looking for the alternative and green sources of energy to keep up with this crazy world.
So long story short, try out this recipe. It can be a dessert or a breakfast, or both (like in my case) 🙂
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons of oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa (or 3 cubes of dark chocolate if you what it to taste sweeter)
- 3 tablespoons of almond milk or water
- 150 gm of greek yogurt
- 2/3 teaspoon of matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Blend in the food processor banana, oatmeal, chia seeds, cocoa or dark chocolate and almond milk, and allow to soak overnight or at least for 10 minutes.
- Mix with the spoon of mixer greek yogurt, matcha, and maple syrup.
- Top the oatmeal mixture with the matcha yogurt and voila!