The sun might not be around these days, but pumpkins are. So are the mushrooms! If you feel blue, cold and cheerless try this remedy – warm and comforting one-pot butternut squash and mushroom casserole. It is filled with flavors of garlic, chili, and rosemary; it has an amazing texture of rich and buttery pumpkin and meaty mushrooms and it is topped with melting cheese and roasted nuts. In short, it is an amazing, easy-to-make and healthy dinner recipe, that would feel like a warm hug in your stomach.
Btw, thanks to the rich and creamy consistency of the squash it tastes like you are getting all the carbs you’ve craved, while in fact, it’s a totally low-carb meal 😉 which is quite a rare combination.
I used butternut squash and king trumpet mushrooms for this recipe because I wanted to try something new. I actually never thought what is the difference between different types of squash. I knew pumpkin and I was loyal to it. But other members of the “squash” family look also pretty cool, like for instance a flowery Sunburst squash or a beautify colored Carnival squash. I decided to go for the humble butternut squash, becuase, to be honest, I thought it would be easier to cut, which in fact it was. And as to the taste, I was also completely satisfied, reach, creamy and not too sweet.
As to the king trumpet (king oyster) mushrooms, I just had to introduce them into my kitchen. I kept stumbling upon them in the supermarket and kept wondering who are these guys? I ran some background check on king trumpet mushrooms on google and gave it a shot. So happy that I did! Because these mushrooms taste amazing! When cooked they stay meaty, crunchy and firm, and have a mild pleasant taste. Not to mention that they look totally royal. 100% a keeper at my kitchen.
Otherwise, it’s an absolutely easy, and mess-free recipe. You just slice the vegetables, coat them well with spices and olive oil and bake in the oven.
- ½ of butternut squash
- 5 king trumpet (king oyster) mushrooms
- several champignons
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon of dried garlic flakes
- 1 tablespoon of chopped rosemary
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ sea salt
- 30 gm of feta cheese
- handful of spinach
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Cut butternut squash in chunks. Slice mushrooms lengthwise. Chop the champignons.
- In a large bowl toss well the pieces of squash with dried garlic and chili flakes, rosemary, salt and olive oil. Place on the baking tray and put in the oven for 15 min.
- Meanwhile, place the slices of mushrooms in the same bowl, sprinkle with olive oil and toss well.
- When 15 minutes are over, remove the tray from the oven. Add mushrooms. Carefully mix the vegetables together. Return to the oven for another 12 minutes.
- Finally, after 12 minutes, add spinach, arrange the pieces of feta cheese on top, sprinkle with pine nuts and pumpkin seeds. Return to the oven for another 3 minutes.