Oh, I’ve missed my blog so much and so happy to be back with this low carb cauliflower halloumi portobello burger… an open burger to be precise 🙂 Super yummy and super easy to make and did I mention a low carb part?
You’ll wonder what is with the whole low carb thing… well, this is my brand new resolution – ever since I returned from three-week holidays in France. Time in France was amazing – freshly baked croissants every single day, baguette for lunch and ice cream after dinner. Loads of wine. Really amazing, would do it all over again… but in the meantime, Patrick and I decided to cut back on carbs.
I read a lot about low-carb and keto diet and to me it totally makes sense. I do a mild version, aiming not to cross 100 gm carbs per day. Basically, this means no bread, pasta, any processes and sweet stuff. Which is actually pretty much how I normally eat (by normally I mean – when I’m home in Germany.) So nothing extreme.
This recipe is a confirmation that low-carb is fun and delicious way to diet. Seriously, just think about it… halloumi, avocado, crispy baked cauliflower, portobello mushrooms, isn’t that fantastic? And best news ever – wine turned out to be low-carb 🙂
You can replace halloumi with cheddar or feta cheese, use broccoli instead of cauliflower, add bacon, prosciutto or salmon. I am totally looking forward to experimenting next time I make it.
- 2 cups finely diced cauliflower (the easiest way is to pulse it in a blender. But be careful not to overdo it. You don't want a puree, you want rice-size pieces).
- 1 cup grated halloumi cheese
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons of almond meal
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- salt, pepper
- 4 or 8 portabello mushrooms (depending on whether you want to have a closed or an open burger)
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- salt, pepper
- finely diced chili (I, unfortunately, forgot to buy it)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Mix all the ingredients for the burgers. Form 4 large burgers. Rub portabello mushrooms cups with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place burgers on one part of the baking sheet. Next to it arrange portabello mushrooms gill side up. Place in the oven.
- Remove the mushrooms after 20 minutes. Leave the burgers in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- While burgers are still in the oven, prepare an avocado topping, by smashing avocado with a fork, adding lemon juice, salt, chili, and pepper.
- Chop tomato.
- Arrange portabello mushrooms on the plates, top with burger and avocado. Sprinkle with tomato pieces and black sesame seeds.
- Close with another portabello mushroom to complete your burger if you'd like.