My first experiment with baking crackers and I’m just thrilled with the result. These crackers are perfect: salty, savory, grainy, crunchy, thin, addictive and at the same time healthy and gluten free! From now on these are officially my favorite crackers. And trust me, you’ll love it too, especially if you are into rosemary, sea-salt, garlic and into crunching with crackers while watching your favorite show.
Crackers and chips section is one of my favorite sections in the supermarket (along with the cheese and wine corner). I can spend ages checking out colorful packages, studying the flavors… just think of it: crackers with truffles, tortillas with chili and lime flavor, vegetable chips with parmesan… popcorn with black pepper and rosemary… Seriously, even the thought of it makes my mouth water.
But my never sleeping conscience keeps telling me that this stuff is not good for me, as most of the time it is loaded with E numbers, trans fats or unhealthy oils, and with way too much salt and empty calories. Life is unfair sometimes.
That’s why I decided to experiment a bit and to prepare my own savory crackers, which would be better than the stuff sold in the stores – tastier and healthier! And I succeeded 🙂 btw, the ingredients are so simple and so affordable that you probably already have everything you need for these crackers at home.
I made these crackers gluten free, because even though I don’t have an intolerance or an allergy, I still find arguments against gluten convincing and try to limit my gluten consumption.
Well, gluten free or not – they taste great and are ready in half an hour.
- 1 cup of oatmeal flour (just pulse a cup of rolled oats in a food processor)
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoons of chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon of white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley leaves
- ½ teaspoon of dried garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/3 teaspoon of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/ 350°F. Line the baking tray with olive oil greased parchment paper.
- Mix all the ingredients and let the dough rest for 10, so that all the ingredients get soaked and the dough becomes thick.
- Place the dough on the baking sheet, cover with another greased sheet of baking paper.
- Using a rolling pin, carefully roll the dough out until it is thin and evenly spread over the baking sheet, about 2 mm thick.
- Carefully remove the top layer of baking paper. Place the tray in the oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take it out and cut the dough into squares, triangles or in fact any shape you like.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown and crisp.